Plastic Pollution Coalition is a non-profit communications and advocacy organization that collaborates with an expansive global alliance of organizations, businesses, and individuals to create a more just, equitable, regenerative world free of plastic pollution and its toxic impacts.
We envision a world in which:
- Earth’s air, soil, and water are free of plastic pollution in all its forms and across the entire life cycle of plastic.The food, drinking water, and bodies of all creatures are free of plastic and its chemical compounds.
- BIPOC, rural, and low-income communities are no longer disproportionately harmed by the petrochemical industry.
- Individuals, NGOs, businesses, and policymakers embody zero waste values and work collaboratively to eliminate waste from our current socio-economic and political systems.
- Human culture has reestablished a harmonious relationship with nature, where nothing is wasted and all of life and Earth’s resources are valued, protected, and replenished.
- Businesses design goods to be package free or use packaging that is non-toxic and reusable or truly biodegradable and bio-benign.
- Corporations deliver their products using non-toxic refillable and reusable systems.
- Governments enforce regulations and legislation to support a circular economy.
- Fossil fuel industry dependence is diminished, and the global climate is protected.
Who We Are
Plastic Pollution Coalition was founded in 2009 by a small group of artists, activists, scientists, and leaders to dispel myths and euphemisms such as “marine debris” and “litter” and instead, call it what it is: plastic pollution. The group pledged to raise awareness about the growing plastic pollution crisis and highlight solutions.
Co-Founders & Current Leadership
- Dianna Cohen
- Julia Cohen
- Lisa Kaas Boyle
- Manuel Maqueda
- Daniella Russo
- Ed Begley Jr.
- Jackson Browne
- Mark Christy
- Anna Cummins
- David DeRothschild
- Sylvia Earle
- Marcus Eriksen
- Ben Harper
- Chris Jordan
- Captain Charles Moore
- Joanna Moore
- Wallace J. Nichols
- Enric Sala
- Todd Sali
- Leslie Tamminen
- Beth Terry
- Richard Walden
- Alice Waters
Learn more about our Team and Coalition.
Today, as the first and most established organization focused solely on plastic pollution, Plastic Pollution Coalition provides a broad tent for organizations, businesses, and individuals to join together, change business as usual, and support policy and legislation to stop plastic pollution. We have thousands of members in 75 countries—all working for a healthier, more just, and equitable world.
How We Work
Plastic Pollution Coalition accomplishes our work through three pillars of action. We educate, connect, and advocate for a more just, equitable world free of plastic pollution.
Plastic Pollution Coalition is a project of Earth Island Institute, a 501(c)3, non-profit organization, organized and existing under the laws of California (Federal Tax ID #94-2889684).